Contract to deliver Global Performance Development programme
About Maximum Performance
Founded in 1997, Maximum Performance work with leaders and their people to improve the performance of individuals, teams and organisations. They design, develop and deliver long term training and development programmes that enable people performance. Interventions are heavily bespoke, supporting all elements that impact on behaviour including pay and reward, performance systems, competency development and cultural realignment. Their clients include the BBC, Thomson Reuters, the BIG Lottery Fund, Hannover Life, Mouchel and the Merlin Entertainments Group.
Context and Objective
In 2007, a very well-known global FMCG company outsourced all global HR services including training and development to an equally well-known international consulting organisation. (Confidentiality clauses forbid us from revealing their names, so we’ll call them FMCG Co and Consulting LLP). At this point, Maximum Performance had been a long-term preferred provider of performance management programmes for FMCG Co’s UK business and now faced the prospect of losing a significant client or taking advantage of a massive opportunity to grow its business, internationally.
Consulting LLP needed to find a range of specialist providers who had the infrastructure, capability and credibility to deliver a wide range of development programmes for FMCG Co around the world in multiple languages. What’s more… its contract with FMCG Co was based on clear KPI measures on consistency and quality of delivery.
Maximum Performance was well placed in terms of its reputation and results with FMCG Co in the UK but was a relatively small business (two full time consultants, one office manager and a close associate network of 14 consultants) with no formal international presence.
Our objective was to build an international network of delivery partners for Maximum Performance in FMCG Co’s main hub locations enabling it to effectively respond and win lucrative global contract for potentially 7 years valued at over £4m.
We worked with Maximum Performance to create a profile of an ideal partner in terms of trainer capability, local resources, quality assurance, relevant delivery experience, ‘fit’ with Maximum Performance and ability to customise programmes locally.
Maximum Performance had a number of existing networks which we tapped into to find partners who matched the profile. This existing network allowed us to appoint partners in China, Malaysia, China, Malaysia, France, Canada, US, Japan, Hungary, Germany, Poland, India, Brazil, Thailand, New Zealand and Italy.
Global Edge then carried out a wide ranging search for partners in Argentina, South Africa and Columbia – the three locations around the world still to be filled. Through research and referrals within our own network, we contacted individuals and companies we knew in these regions and after a period of extensive networking, telephone and video calls, we shortlisted 6-7 potential partners in each region.
Following a rigorous RFI process on a number of questions, we reduced the shortlist down to 3-4 in each territory. We then visited each territory, meeting each of the shortlisted partners for a whole day enabling us to assess their delivery style, get to know them as individuals and explore FMCG Co’s programmes together in more detail. Potential partners were assessed against the agreed criteria and a report produced with a final recommendation of the partner to be selected.
We also provided advice and support in the other following areas:
- Design and development of content and activities for the 7 programmes
- Building an effective pricing model for design, delivery and travel
- Development of logistical support methodology and framework, including customer service
- Sourcing and implementing an effective financial reporting package for invoicing and cost control
- Development of a virtual ‘train the trainer’ programme for international partners
- Selection and negotiation with external suppliers to translate programme materials
- Building a secure portal on the Maximum Performance website to enable international partners to share feedback and learnings, access materials and communicate/build relationships
- Development of a quality assurance and feedback mechanism
- Negotiating pricing and contract terms with Consulting LLP
- Applying for government grants to fund the research visits
- Won 2 year contract to deliver 7 one- and two-day programmes
- Maximum Performance was one of only 20 providers selected from an original 1,500 Learning and Development providers who entered the process
- Maximum Performance as FMCG Co’s only existing UK supplier to be successful in this tender process
- Design and full customisation of 7 workshops and courses
- Successful delivery of over 500 training days delivered in over 28 locations around the world in 8 different languages over the last 4 years
- FMCG Co participants from over 50 countries have attended Maximum Performance courses around the world
- Business acquired in 2008 by The In-House Training Company
- Growth in revenue income through local partner opportunities
- Contract with Consulting LLP extended to the full 7 years
- Maximum Performance over achieved on all KPIs and recognised as ‘top provider’